Sep

Dali’s Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Kenneth Rougeau   in Alice In Wonderland, Art, Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Surrealist Salvador Dali was certainly one of the most influential & well known painters of the 20th century, but it’s not so widely known that he was also a gifted filmmaker, photographer, writer and illustrator. Eccentric by nature, it is no surprise that Dali was drawn to creating works to illustrate stories that touched upon his own surrealistic sensibilities, such tales as Dante‘s Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Macbeth, and of course Lewis Carroll‘s Alice In Wonderland.

Dali created a series of 13 lithographs depicting Alice‘s adventures (published in 1969 by Press-Random House), each vibrant and bizarre with a dreamy, almost child-like splatter-art feel to them, a bit like Ralph Steadman without the psychotic edginess (I love Ralph’s work). Alice, depicted as a girl jumping rope, is shown in each colorful image of the series as she travels through a dreamlike world of nonsense populated by an unusual cast of unlikely characters.

Down The Rabbit Hole by Salvador Dali

The Mock Turtles Story by Salvador Dali

The Mock Turtle's Story by Salvador Dali

Who Stole The Tarts? by Salvador Dali

Who Stole The Tarts? by Salvador Dali

Alices Evidence by Salvador Dali

Alice's Evidence by Salvador Dali

Dali also later sculpted a 15.7″ tall x 35.4″ wide bronze statuette of Alice jumping rope beside one of the artist’s signature stylized crutches.

Alice In Wonderland bronze statue by Salvador Dali

Alice In Wonderland bronze statue by Salvador Dali

Add to Del.cio.us RSS Feed Add to Technorati Favorites Stumble It! Digg It!
    www.sajithmr.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 at 2:02 pm and is filed under Alice In Wonderland, Art, Salvador Dali. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 comments so far

Yes, these are from Shorewood Publishing in 1969. 2500 Sets were created, they look like books with a slip case etc. There is also text that goes along with the pieces. They were meant to stay together as sets, so the only pencil signed print was the frontice piece, signed in pencil, all others are plate or engraved signature. If you want more info, you can contact me through my website:

September 9th, 2009 at 8:45 am

Thanks Dan! :) I wasn’t able to uncover much in the way of background information on the images & it’s great to have a bit more of their history.

September 9th, 2009 at 12:37 pm
Maureen Phillips

I have a collage which is Alice in Wonderland by Dali. I purchased it in the late 1970s from at art dealer in Paramus, New Jersey. I am interested in selling it and can send you a picture if you would like. I have no idea what it is worth.

February 13th, 2010 at 1:27 pm
nanine valen

Are you interested in selling the Alice in Wonderland prints?

January 12th, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hi Nanine. Sadly, I don’t actually have copies of these or any of Salvador Dali’s works, nor could I tell you where to find them. Best of luck with your search though!

February 9th, 2011 at 12:50 pm
christophe

Hi nanine I’ve got proofs from Alice in wonderland I could sell.Please send me a mail at christophedesgranges@hotmail.com best regards.

March 12th, 2011 at 3:00 am
Deb Alexander

I obtained Mad Tea Party as shown in Miami, Florida in late 1988. It is numbered 89/300. Moving to the area in 85 and moving to a remote area into a new highrise overlooking the quiet area of South Beach. Working in a sports franchise endeavor that became known later as the Miami Heat/Orlando Magic and so much surrounding this, the many work needs to attend the arts and culture throughout was incredible. Having Erte shows in the evening walks to pop in a learn about art, only to compare anything to my vocal love of Dali, found an Erte “Spring”, with jewelry and plates to follow over the years to the cherished gift over a bet of a heavywieght fight on 8th and Ocean (a few doors down from the remote artists club in the “club scene block) -
Being a private owner of extensive originals, some never seen before, almost now to me, a surreal discovery of their fame since then, my Mad Tea party has stayed above my desk through two devasting hurricaines and a massive earthquake. All of children and my own life can be recalled through memories of my Dali. The bet ? Erte was fascinated by lack of interest in his work and my tattered Dali book reference given to me by my mother after Vietnam in my home of Hawaii. If I knew the story of the Alice and Wonderland and OTHER pieces commisioned because of it and WHY it was not mass produced or used iin the “fraud rush” of random gallery “floods”, I could HAVE the lady I admired, in Spring AND his copy of Mad Tea Party. As a legal mind, I had first person accounts of Dali’s complete frustration in the corporate world’s theft and disenchantments with what was asked for and delivered in three other intial pieces. He was chastised for them and asked to destroy Alice and Wonderland inclusively, “or else”.Having a very legit claim, he spited all and kept the Alice series, allowing it to get to the world. Notably, it is rarely seen and never showcased. This and accounts, affirmations of more famed artists and collectors of Dali during those magical few years fed my passions and kept many artists in conversations many evenings which happily overshadowed their new South Beach revivial efforts. And did they ever revive it. I will miss it always. There is a great story behind this and 2 other never seen pieces.It is af if those who carry the truth are sworn to protect him and his works forever. That is how I feel. Blessed in life and art. Art truly imitates life. All the best.

June 22nd, 2011 at 4:47 am
jack

Hi can anyone tell me where i can find dali’s version of the story cant find it anywhere only
lewis carrolls

August 9th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

From what I understand, the text of the Dali’s Wonderland book retains the original Lewis Carroll story. I’ve poked around a bit and can recommend a couple of places where you might purchase the entire book, though they’re likely very expensive as they’re signed, numbered limited editions.

You’ll find a brief video about the books here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9_jSL0NL9E
and you can purchase the book from Abe Books:
or from salvadordaliexperts.com: http://www.salvadordaliexperts.com/dalialiceinwonderland.html
or from the Lockport Street Gallery: http://www.lockportstreetgallery.com/AinW.htm

August 10th, 2011 at 12:11 pm
Duane Lindemann

I actually have the book with illustrations and original case. I have had it for over 20 years, any idea what its worth?

September 1st, 2011 at 9:51 am

2 Trackbacks/Pings

1. The Collage Art of Salvador Dali | PaperStreet Supplies    Sep 08 2009 / 7pm:

[...] of his work which incorporate collage elements. (For more by Salvador Dali, don’t miss Dali’s Adventures In Wonderland at Uncommon Nonsense) The Ants (1929 – gouache, ink & collage) Bird (1928 – oil, sand & [...]

2. Dali's Adventures In Wonderland - Broken Kode • by Khaled Abou Alfa    Mar 10 2010 / 12am:

[...] Dali's Adventures In Wonderland – You know, to prepare you for the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp fest. Love the statue, always the best Dali work in my opinion. Meta . Info Wednesday 10 March , 2010 [...]